Carols Better Health Better Life

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sore Throat anyone?


I've had a sore throat (fire red) since golfing in this allergy weather lately. I've tried drinking tea, and taking my usual vitamins and drinking lots of kefir. This afternoon, I decided to take 1000 mg of Vitamin D. You know it is the latest rage, so how could I lose?

About an hour later my sore throat was gone for the first time in a few days. I told my husband about it, and guess what? He said he has known for years that you take Cataplex D for sore throats. So that is what I get for self diagnosing myself and not bringing it to the Doctor's attention.

Here are some other solutions:

"Gargling with salt water can fight against bacteria and can reduce throat inflammation and pain, while saline nasal sprays can help decongest the airways clogged with mucus. When suffering from strep throat, it is very important to maintain a warm temperature in your bedroom and to increase the air humidity by using mist humidifiers.

It is recommended to avoid drinking cold or very hot beverages, as they can cause throat irritation and pain, slowing down the process of healing. Also, keep away from spicy and irritant foods, as they are not tolerated well by an inflamed throat. When suffering from strep throat, you should only eat soft foods such as soups, yogurts, and non-irritant fruits."

Now you know!