Carols Better Health Better Life

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Heal the Gut and you will heal almost all diseases

I often struggle with patients who come to a Health facility to get a "quick fix" for what ails them.

"Your pancreas and liver and kidney are blocked by fungus and heavy metals" I say to a patient. What could make it better? "A Candida detox, Metal detox, change of diet to eliminate dairy and sugar and white flour, adding more green vegetables, eating fruit without sugar, some short walks to keep the blood sugar to normal levels so you do not have the highs and lows of blood sugar.

But can't you just give me a pill that will fix the problem?

It is hard to make changes as a 30 year old, because they do not foresee into the future and what their body will look like in 30 years if they keep up their bad habits. Bad habits are even harder to change at 60 then at 30. By then we have the added burden of years of exposure to sugar, white flour, pesticides, metal teeth fillings, hormone changes.

I recently went to a Women's Health Seminar with my husband, Dr. Norman Miller and his associate, Dr. Megan Bjorklund. We walked a 1 1/4 mile to and from the seminar site. They only served us Mediterranean food and sugar and dairy were not part of the diet. We felt wonderful until we stopped at Hardees for a quick bite on the way home and then we all suffered with indigestion.

I recently found out that my DNA does better on soy milk, whole grains, lots of fiber, fresh fruit, vegetables, and grass fed animal meat. I have more pain when I include white flour, sugar, dairy, and potatoes into my diet. My blood sugar reaches unhealthy levels. Rice needs to be soaked several hours and then rinsed before cooking or the starch sends my blood sugar too high.

But here is the GOOD NEWS I learned from our speaker, James A Levine, MD from Mayo Clinic who does research on Exercise. He wrote the book, MOVE A LITTLE and LOSE A LOT. If I walk 15 minutes before I eat and 15 minutes after I eat, my blood sugar will stabilize and I won't have near as much skeletal pain, because most pain comes from blood sugar highs and lows.

We also learned from almost every MD that spoke that almost all autoimmune and heart problems come from "the gut." If we heal our Digestive systems, we heal most of our problems in the body.

Every time I eat sugar and my blood sugar spikes I can expect to have pain for another 20 days! However, there is a trick. All that good fat we have been trying to avoid, like nuts, avocado, cream, etc actually helps us reduce our blood sugar and our pain. Good fats actually aid in keeping us from scarring after a cut or surgery. He suggests that if we must have ice cream occasionally, that we eat a handful of nuts 30 minutes before the ice cream to keep our blood sugar from rising. I tried it by eating nuts, walking 30 minutes and having butter pecan ice cream and then walking home 30 minutes. My blood sugar still registered too high, so I had to take a digestive to help get it back to normal. I must find an ice cream that is natural and perhaps has more cream. If I find one I will let you know. For Now, it is time to get those 10,000 steps in for the day, so back to work I go via WALKING 15 minutes on the new Pumpkin vine trail.